Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Great Tomato Bible Disaster of 2014.

Forbidden fruit juice Bible stain.
I was so proud of myself yesterday morning. I got everything ready to go the night before and got up extra early so I could ride the bus across the Avenues to the community garden, water my baby plants, and then hurry down the hill to catch my normal bus to work (trip chaining on the bus! the Clear the Air people will have to give me like a million points). My trusty NIV Study Bible was in my bag, as well as my lunch, which included a beautiful juicy heirloom tomato in a tupperware. Well, actually the tomato was in one of the recycled grocery store deli plastic containers that I use as tupperwares because I'm cheap (see also The Great Yogurt Explosion of 2014)--containers that I know from sad experience should not be used to hold juicy things....but that tomato was only juicy on the inside! How was I to anticipate that sprinting eight blocks downhill with a delicate tomato bouncing around in a tupperware would cause it to bleed

all

over

my

Bible?

Kinda pretty, but not so portable anymore.

And all over my other stuff, too. By the time I noticed the gore fest inside my bag the poor tomato looked worse than stewed and had to be chucked. The Bible was the hardest to clean, and now it's all misshapen and sad from its tomato-blood and water baptisms. Thankfully I only paid $5 for it used on Amazon, so if I have to replace it it's no tragedy, but I feel that in the name of keepin' it real I should offer up my stupidity as a (humorous) cautionary tale, and remind all that while bus riding can be part of a nice drama-free lifestyle, certain accommodations have to be made--accommodations like purchasing tupperwares with screw-on lids for transporting juicy or potentially juicy food items. Accommodations like maybe not taking delicate tomatoes for lunch if you're likely going to have to run to the bus stop. Stuff like that. Common sense stuff that smart people wouldn't need to learn the hard way or read on a blog.

*Hangs head in shame.*

I sorta wish I hadn't cleaned the tomato juice off. It looked kind of cool--like blood gushing forth from the Bible, with a crescendo on the Revelation end. Tomatopocalypse!!

No comments:

Post a Comment