Thursday, May 22, 2014

Another confessional post. Read at your own risk of fatal boredom.

It turns out that the extra hours spent on the bus each week, while they are usually productive hours, make me less inclined to spend more time when I get home sitting in front of a computer and writing blog posts. So hallelujah! If this blog is going to happen at all regularly, it's going to get less verbose. Which is good for everyone (anyone?) involved.

So....in confessions, that last post on May 6 was the only time I rode the bus that week. My excuse was that I had to buy a bunch of plants for myself and others that Saturday at a special one-day parking lot sale with no shopping carts. On Thursday my coworker offered me the use of her kids' old wagon for plant hauling, and I really needed the wagon. As I was unwilling to speed walk 13 minutes to the bus stop after work on Friday while pulling a big orange wagon behind me, I realized I'd have to jettison my bus plans and drive. If I'd been more on top of things earlier in the week and gotten my bus riding in, I would have been able to reach my goal while having wiggle room for later crises such as wagon hauling.  Life lessons. Life lessons.

To my credit, I did ride THREE WHOLE TIMES the following week (twice to work and also to Sandy on Saturday), even though I had a bunch of purchased vegetable seedlings in my care that needed sunlight during the day until they could be passed off to those who requested them or planted by me. My apartment cannot provide sufficient light and so in past years I've driven the plants to work with me and put them in a sunny spot in my workplace garden during work hours, and then driven them back home to spend the night in my car. I had to get creative on the two days I took the bus to work, leaving the plants in my car at night so they didn't get spoiled by the warm indoor night temperatures, and then transferring them to the sunniest spot in my house while I was at work (because they would cook if I left them in my car for sunlight while I took the bus to work). I don't think they suffered too much from this on and off indoor treatment, and it was nice to feel that my efforts to garden were accompanied by some efforts to not cancel out the ecological benefits of said garden by adding unnecessary pollution to the air.

I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Goodwill intended their building to be used for more noble purposes than providing handy bathroom sinks for rinsing the yogurt-drenched possessions of public transit riders, but I trust they would be gratified by my gratitude all the same.

Also notable that week: the Great Yogurt Explosion of 2014. Let's just say that Australian-style yogurt is just as non-portable as it appears, even if you rubber-band the lid to the tupperware. Learn from my folly, dear reader, and choose a thicker yogurt for your bus adventures. Thankfully, for my cleanup job I was once again able to make use of the convenient and clean bathroom in the delightfully named Wilford W. and Dorothy P. Goodwill Humanitarian Building that is right by my transfer stop. Quick in--rinse off apples and avocado and paperwork and bag--and quick out, in time to catch the connecting bus. The Goodwills--they had to be philanthropists, right? They had no choice. Can't very well be a greedy oil magnate with that name.

And riding the TRAX out to Sandy on Saturday with a box of plants for my parents was fun. I sat across from two little kids who wanted to know all about the plants I was planting and check them out. Oooo! Pleasant conversations with strangers on public transit! I'm not such a freaky, freaky recluse after all.

Sad observation from today's trip to work: one of the houses on my pretty walk had burned down last night. On the walk in to work the news trucks were there, filming the firefighters preparing to demolish the charred shell of the house. On my walk back to the bus stop after work, the house had been demolished, with this Pooh Bear doll perched on the rubble. So sad. Such a cute house with beautiful flowering vines all along the fence. According to the neighbors, no one was hurt, so that's good.

This week I'm atoning for one of my short weeks by riding to work three days (oooo!) Or at least that is my hope. Two down, and hopefully tomorrow as well. The trick with tomorrow is I have to go straight from work to a fancy wedding reception up at the Univeristy of Utah's Red Butte Gardens, which is a fair walking distance from the last UTA stop. Will I really do this, or am I too lazy? Will I take fancy reception clothes, change into them, and leave my other clothes at work so I don't have to walk into the reception with a big bag full of clothes like a transient? Do the walking thing from the last bus stop to Red Butte (and carry the dress shoes in my purse), or try to figure out the late-night University shuttle system to get a ride closer to Red Butte to eliminate some of the walking?  If I do it, I'll reward myself by bumming a ride home from the reception with one of my friends. I only have so much stomach for Friday night after-work adventures.

And....I've got to get to bed if those adventures stand any chance of happening. Can't think of anything clever or pithy to end with, so peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment