Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The regulars.

Today's lesson: checking the weather report before leaving the house on bus-to-work day is extra important. This means if it's going to be a blustery day, you do NOT wear a wrap dress, especially if you do not also wear a slip.

Live and learn.

But it was exciting to be out in the wind and the cool temperatures made for a pleasant walk both ways. A young father and his toddler daughter rode with me in the morning, and they talked to a woman who had brought an empty stroller onboard. He told her that he was a computer science student. She explained to him and his confused little girl that she had left her own baby at school so she could go home and finish her master's thesis, entitled "Parents' Perspective on an Autism Diagnosis." (Yes, lady. I was totally eavesdropping and taking notes--'cause y'know--I have a bus blog, and you're my material.) After the pleasantries she retreated into her smartphone and the father and daughter launched in to a rollicking rendition of "The Wheels on the Bus" with their own special verse: "The dinosaur on the bus says 'It's too tight! It's too tight! It's too tight!'" It was cute enough to rot your teeth.

Walk to work: lovely, quick, and got there two minutes early. When I walked in, the mail clerk lovingly pulled a seed pod out of my hair. A gift from the beautiful big trees lining my walking route.

After long hours sitting at a desk and breathing office air the walk back to the bus is a joy, even in strong winds. Well, it was a joy as soon as I got past the busy street and onto the sleepy lane so that my wrap dress flashing my underwear was less likely to catch attention.

The father was on the return bus, too, this time without his daughter, and intently reading for his classes. He failed to pull the stop request line, but the driver apparently knew where he usually stopped and so it was only when the bus slowed down for the stop that the man looked up and gathered his things and hopped off, calling "thanks, Ralph!" to the driver. (I like the driver, too, and am glad to know his name. A jolly and helpful one.) I hope that cast of characters will make regular appearances on my Tuesday rides. I'm fond of them already.

Heck, maybe someday I'll even strike up a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment