Thursday, September 25, 2014

More confession, more repentance, more bus arts and crafts.

So, I fell off the wagon (bus) two months ago, and it's so far away now that I might need to charter a plane to catch up.....

The day after the Clear the Air Challenge ended, I was walking around my neighborhood in the dark, really fast (I always walk really fast) and clobbered my big toe on a sidewalk slab sticking up. There was a lot of pain and an alarming popping sensation when I bent my toe, and though the doctor determined it was only a bad sprain, it made walking fast difficult for some time. And getting to/from work on the most direct bus route requires quite a bit of very quick walking. So I let myself off the bus-riding hook "just for a couple weeks," and then I fell out of the habit, fell back into my late-night habits, and that combined with my recent difficulty sleeping, quickly made bus riding seem like an ordeal not to be borne. (Ridiculous, yes, considering that so many people who ride the bus are single parents working two and three jobs and sleeping hardly at all, but I never claimed to be anything but ridiculous.) My toe was 100% fine by the end of August, but I kept driving. There was guilt, but it was dwarfed by bad habits and exhaustion from chronic sleep deprivation.

So a stellar bus riding July was followed by an awful August and September. I skipped out (not entirely unconsciously) on the hottest month of the year, August, when reducing air pollution is extra important, and now the weather I love has arrived. It's all so convenient to reform now, right? But the self-punishment must end. I'm finally sleeping a bit better and so no longer have any good excuses. I will aim to do very well in the autumn and will do my best in winter as well, when the very worst pollution happens. I will see if I can make up the lost rides, or at least get close, so that my Hive Pass financial investment will not be a bad one by the time it expires.

That reminds me--the Hive Pass currently is only slated to be available through September 30, so get yours soon if you want one! I am resolved to cease my hypocritical streak starting next week, so I can in good conscience evangelize for public transit again....

To launch my renewed resolution, here's a bit of inspiration--a reminder of all that can be accomplished during one's time on public transit if one is focused and determined. Who knew a crocheted wedding dress could be so beautiful and within the reach of a busy working woman? Yes, public transit has its inconveniences, but it offers in exchange both hands free and no requirement to watch the road. Time to write the Great American Novel.... or tat the Great American Doily....




No comments:

Post a Comment